Resources for parents who are dealing with parental alienation — the pathological alignment of a child with a favored parent.
Every family has rules, myths, assigned roles, loyalties, and alliances (one alliance almost guaranteed to develop symptoms in a child is when a parent allies with a child against the other parent). ~James Framo, 1996 (one of the first to practice Marriage and Family Therapy).
Parental Alienation Articles
- Madonna, Guy Ritchie, and Rocco–Is This Parental Alienation?
- An Update: Current Work on Parental Alienation (Jan. 2015)
- Co-Parenting and Teenagers
- Filling Your Life So Your Children Don’t Have to
- Parental Alienation — A Mother’s and Counselor’s Perspective
- Undermining and Cutting Out the Other Parent
- Amy J Baker, Ph.D.
- Craig Childress, Psy.D.
- Douglas Darnall, Ph.D.— ParentalAlienation.org
- Jayne Major, Ph.D. — Major Family Services
- Richard Warshak, Ph.D.
Books and Videos
There are so many great books–if you don’t see one here that you’d like to recommend, please contact me so I can put it on the list:
- NOT in the Child’s Best Interest by Ron B. Palmer and Sherry L. Palmer (This is a fantastic resource for legal matters concerning your child, divorce, custody, and the American court system. They are a husband and wife team who have gone through PA themselves, heavily researched the law regarding family court/custody/divorce and now want to help others. They should be given an honorary law degree for their efforts, not to mention their extensive knowledge. Their website is www.FixFamilyCourts.com).
- Dr. Craig Childress on YouTube: Dr. Childress Speaks with the Child — the first in a series geared toward children between 14 and 17 years old. Parental Alienation Dynamics is another 28-video series (they aren’t that long–less than 10 minutes apiece and well worth your time) from Dr. Childress. Watch his lecture given at California Southern University–this is two parts. Here’s the link to the second video lecture: “Treatment of Attachment-Based “Parental Alienation” and the pdf of powerpoint slides is located here: Dr. Craig Childress Power Point Slides PDF.
- Dr. Richard Warshak’s video, Welcome Back, Pluto–Understanding, Preventing, and Overcoming Parental Alienation. Fantastic video for middle-school-on-up kids to watch with/without their parents.